Office Depot has been selected as the premier office products supplier to provide desktop ordering to U.T. Austin University departments. As announced through an email from the Executive Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs, U.T. System Administration will also utilize this supply-ordering tool and all departments are expected to participate in the program.
For many years university and System Administration departments have procured office supplies through a variety of office supply vendors. Although some departments received adequate discounts, the University as a whole was not taking advantage of its consolidated purchasing power by procuring office supplies through one preferred vendor.
Advantages of the Office Depot Program
Beginning in April 2003, the Office Depot contract will provide departments with the following:
- substantial discounts, many items at 60% off list prices
- access to approximately 15,000 office related supply items
- 24-hour online ordering capability
- next day delivery on most orders
- contract prices at Office Depot retail stores nationwide using the U.T. procurement card (Procard)
- online tracking and order history
Through a special Office Depot website, departments will be able to order a variety of office supplies. Orders, for most items, which are placed by 5 p.m. will be delivered by Office Depot the morning of the next business day.
Charges to department accounts for the products will be processed via the VP9 electronic voucher in *DEFINE, similar to the way U.T. Procard charges are processed. Product returns can be handled via the website (preferred), or by calling 1-800-723-3345.
All orders must be placed through a special website that utilizes the University's U.T. EID system, then connects you to a special Office Depot order website. Do not use www.officedepot.com as the website.
Remote Office Locations
Some System Administration Offices are located outside the delivery range. Office Depot will evaluate the feasibility of direct delivery to these locations. Department heads for these locations should clearly indicate on the Office Depot U.T. System Access Form (MS Word format) that a direct delivery from Office Depot is needed. A determination will be requested of Office Depot and the response relayed as soon as possible.
If direct delivery is not feasible for the location, supplies should be purchased from any Office Depot store location, reasonably accessible to your office, with a U.T. Procard. Office Depot contract discounts apply to all purchases, including paper and toner cartridges, made with the Procard. If there is currently no Procard holder in the office, contact Accounting and Purchasing Services for information on how to obtain one. If an Office Depot store is not reasonably accessible to the office location and discount savings are offset by the time and effort to utilize the program, remote offices should obtain supplies from a vendor offering the best value. If office supplies are purchased from another vendor, the purchase documentation must specify why the Office Depot program was not utilized.
20# virgin copy paper and 20# recycled paper will be purchased by U.T. System and will be available from IKON. Call 499-4286 or email IKON@utsystem.edu and paper will be delivered to your department. Unless a preference is specified, 20# virgin copy paper will be delivered. The cost of virgin paper is slightly higher than the cost of recycled paper.
Office Depot In-Store Purchases Must be Made with U.T. Procard
If a department has an office supply need that must be filled immediately, the U.T. Procard must be used to access contract discounts when making the purchase from an Office Depot store. If an Office Depot location is not reasonably accessible to the department, supply purchases may be made from another vendor. The normal Procard documentation process follows the purchase.
- Office Depot contract discounts apply to purchases made with a U.T. Procard
- Applicable at any Office Depot location nationwide
Supply Purchases Made from a Vendor Other than Office Depot
If an Office Depot store is not reasonably accessible to the department or the item in question is not available through Office Depot, the purchase may be made from another vendor. If office supplies are purchased from another vendor, the purchase documentation must specify why the Office Depot program was not utilized.
Department personnel must ensure receipt of goods and follow up with Office Depot to resolve any discrepancies or damaged goods.
- In order to maintain internal controls, an employee with signature authority, other than the person placing the orders (but in the same department) must verify the receipt of goods from Office Depot.
- The packing slip included with the shipment should be stamped "RECEIVED".
- The packing slip should be authorized for payment by adding: the date received; the account number for the purchase; the signature of someone with signature authority on the account.
- Electronic VP9 payment vouchers are created at the end of each 30-day cycle, charging the account specified on the packing slip. VP9(s) will be electronically routed from U.T. Austin to Accounting and Purchasing Services for processing and approval of payment. A copy of the VP9 will be sent to the department and a deadline date will be attached. All documents supporting the order and receipt of goods must be submitted to Accounting and Purchasing Services to reconcile and approve the VP9 document to meet the processing deadline. Failure to timely submit complete and approved packing slips may result in suspension or loss of privileges.
Orders Placed by Accounting and Purchasing Services
On occasion, the authorized user of the Office Depot portal for a department may be out of the office when supplies are needed. If the order cannot reasonably wait until the individual returns to work, Accounting and Purchasing Services will assist by placing the order on behalf of the department. To initiate such an order, please do the following:
- Communicate the specifics of your need, the account number for the purchase, and the delivery location by email to firstname.lastname@example.org OR logon to an Office Depot site that permits you to view items and pricing but not place an order: https://bsd.officedepot.com/index.do; the Login name is: hook-em; the Password is: hook-em.
- When requested, purchasing personnel in Accounting and Purchasing Services will return cost information to you. However, the process will be faster if you obtain detailed information for the items needed at the website above. The description of the item(s), the six digit item #(s), the cost, the account number, and the delivery location will be needed for Accounting and Purchasing Services to place the order for you.
- You will route the information to someone with signature authority for the account to be charged.
- The individual with signature authority must signify that the purchase is "approved" and forward the email on to email@example.com.
- Accounting and Purchasing Services will then process the order for your department.
- The packing slip that arrives with the order must be authorized for payment by adding the date received, the account number for the purchase and the signature of someone with signature authority on the account.
- Send a copy of this approved packing slip to Accounting and Purchasing Services within three (3) business days as authorization to process the payment transaction. Retain a copy for your departmental records.
Order Information and Tracking
Order information and tracking by user will be maintained on the Office Depot site. Activity for the last 18 months will be maintained for easy lookup and reconciliation purposes.
Restrictions on Office Depot Website
There will be some products on the Office Depot website that are restricted, due to contractual agreements and/or the product will be supplied by U.T. Austin University Supply. Any restricted item will be clearly marked when you browse the Office Depot online catalog. It is possible for items to be inadvertently restricted. If the restriction does not appear logical and you would like for it to be investigated, please forward the MFGR# to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Return Products to Office Depot
The following procedure will help you with returning an item to Office Depot:
- Merchandise should be returned within 30 days of the original purchase.
- To ensure accurate credit and pick up coordination, please be prepared to provide the following information: Account number - 35734206; Original order number; Item number of product being returned; Reason for return; Your name and how a customer service rep or driver may contact you.
- Items should be in their original packaging.
- You must obtain a Return Authorization (RA) number from Office Depot via their website (preferred) or by calling Office Depot customer service at 1-800-723-3345.
- Once the department has a RA number and Office Depot sends the corresponding pickup request, merchandise will be picked up by IKON needs to be contacted to have the merchandise picked up.
- Hold the merchandise until IKON arrives to pick up your return and present it back to Office Depot. Office Depot will process your return, and may call you, then will process the credit back to your account or exchange of product.
- When you receive the credit in a VP9 document, you will submit to APS the Return Authorization (RA) number on a copy of the original purchasing packing slip for the item(s) being returned. This information will be used to ensure that the proper account number receives credit for the return.
How to Get Started
- A form with all necessary information, signed by the department head must be submitted to Accounting and Purchasing Services so that access can be set up. Click here to access the Office Depot U.T. System Access Form (MSWord format). The form can be faxed to Accounting and Purchasing Services at 499-4576.
- When the Access Form is received in Accounting and Purchasing Services, the user will be assigned an online training course. Once the Office Depot training module is successfully completed, the user should contact the Accounting and Purchasing Services in order to obtain access to the program. New users must complete this training session successfully, complete the Test Your Knowledge section, and notify APS of the completion before access can be set up.
Who will be delivering Office Depot supplies to my department?
Answer: Orders will be delivered by IKON, you can check on a delivery by calling 499-4286.
Can anyone in my department order from Office Depot?
Answer: Only personnel authorized by the electronic office manager or purchasing/accounting contact in Accounting and Purchasing Services can order from Office Depot.
Do I have to order from Office Depot, or can I also purchase office supplies from other vendors?
Answer: It is required that all departments, regardless of funding source, purchase their office supplies from the Office Depot portal.
I do not like what I just purchased from Office Depot, or the item was damaged - how do I return the item?
Answer: You must initiate a return via the Office Depot portal (preferred), or you can call the Office Depot customer service number at 1-800-723-3345. The best and easiest method will be thru the website. Do not hand over any returns to IKON until you have initiated the return via the Office Depot portal. Also, be sure to send to Accounting and Purchasing Services a copy of the original packing slip for the item and note the Return Authorization (RA) number on the copy within three (3) business days. This will enable Accounting and Purchasing Services to process your credit properly.
I ordered some items at 3 p.m. today. Will I get my products tomorrow?
Answer: Yes, the deadline for orders is 5 p.m. via the Office Depot portal. For some specialized items, delivery may require more than one day, but most will arrive the next day.
Some copier paper items are restricted online, what does that mean?
Answer: Copier paper, both virgin and recycled, are to be ordered from IKON. Call 499-4286 or email IKON@utsytem.edu.
An authorized user was set up to process office supplies from Office Depot, but I need to add another account number and delivery location, how do I do that?
Answer: Complete the Office Depot U.T. System Access Form, have it signed by your department head and forward to Accounting and Purchasing Services. As soon as the information is processed, you will be notified.
The only authorized user for the Office Depot portal for our department is out of the office and we need supplies. What do we do?
Answer: Communicate the specifics of your need, the account number for the purchase, and the delivery location by email to email@example.com. Personnel in Accounting and Purchasing Services will return cost information to you. If the cost is acceptable, forward the email to someone with signature authority for the account to be charged. Ask that individual to signify that the purchase is "approved" and forward the email on to firstname.lastname@example.org. Personnel in Accounting and Purchasing Services will process the order for your department. Remember to forward the packing slip to Account Services within three (3) business days following receipt of the order.
We have an emergency supply need for an unanticipated project and waiting even one day for delivery will hurt my department's productivity. What do we do?
Answer: Have the Procard holder in your department go to any Office Depot store location and purchase the items you need. The contract discounts apply to purchases made with a U.T. Procard at any Office Depot store - - nation wide. The normal Procard process follows - - have it signed by someone with signature authority on the account and submit it along with the detailed receipt to Accounting and Purchasing Services.
We are a System Administration department, but we are not located in Austin. How can we benefit from the discount pricing? Are we required to participate in the Office Depot program?
Answer: With a U.T. Procard, your department can benefit from the discount prices for all purchases made at any Office Depot store location, nationwide. Direct delivery from Office Depot to your offices may also be possible. This need should be clearly indicated on the Office Depot U.T. System Access Form and a determination will be obtained from Office Depot. If direct delivery is not possible, your department is still required to participate in the program by using the Procard method, if an Office Depot store is reasonably accessible from your office location. If the purchase is made with a Procard, the normal process follows - - have it signed by someone with signature authority on the account and submit it along with the detailed receipt to Accounting and Purchasing Services (within three (3) business days of the purchase).
How can I buy TIBH (Texas Industries for the Blind and Handicapped) office products without violating the Office Depot contract?
All Office Depot users have a TIBH list that is available to them through the Office Depot portal. Once a user logs in, they can go to their “My Shopping List” and there they will find a TIBH list that has all of the office supply products available through OD. UT and OD worked with TIBH to make this list available to our users. The list includes items such as binders, highlighters, correction tape, and pens. These items arrive and are billed to departments the same as OD supplies. The prices on these items seem to be higher than the prices offered on the same products in the TIBH catalog; we are posing the question to UT Austin purchasing if we can order directly from TIBH to get the better pricing without violating the OD contract.
UT Austin Purchasing has advised that UT System can purchase office supplies directly from the TIBH Online Catalog: Products or their Central Store in Austin without violating the OD contract. We ask that you please look at how your department can incorporate purchasing from TIBH into your office supply purchases when it provides the best value. Please do not use your procard when purchasing from the TIBH. The reason is that we are required to report monthly the amount we purchase from TIBH; we can’t capture your purchase if you pay by procard. Please choose the “bill us” option and forward invoice to APS to have a payment made.
Ready to Place an Office Depot Order
When you have read the information on this web page, received training and submitted the Office Depot U.T. System Access Form to Accounting and Purchasing Services, click the following link to place an order. Please note that the process to get your user information input into the Office Depot database requires 3 to 5 days.
|Click Here to Access Office Depot Portal:
You will be prompted for your U.T. EID and password. If your access is established, you will be taken into the order site. If your access is not yet established, you will be taken to yet another user id and password screen. If more than 5 days have elapsed since your access form was submitted, please contact APS and an inquiry will be routed to Office Depot.