America On the Move: UT System Ultimate Challenge.
NEW Program "STEPtember".
The month of September becomes STEPtember, a month of action for America On the Move®. The entire month celebrates the benefits of active living and healthy eating.
This 6-week Challenge will start during the month of September, 2008. You pick the start date that works best for you. To join America On the Move-University of Texas Ultimate Challenge, follow the instructions on the right side bar.
America On the Move: UT System Ultimate Challenge Final Results!
As for the challenge, every institution was a winner. We had a total of 5,319 registered participants and were able to get non-active employees to become active and also, create awareness of resources and programs available to our members (employees, retirees and dependents). So thank you all again, without your support this would have not happened. Now we do have to crown a winner for our 2008 institution challenge. This institution did an excellent job promoting the program with the involvement of Senior Management, HR/Benefits and Wellness Champions. Our 2008 UT System Physical Activity Challenge is UT Health Science Center San Antonio. Congratulations!
We presented the Traveling Trophy to UT Health Science Center San Antonio on July 24th. See program results and award ceremony photos.
On The News:
- UT Health Science Center San Antonio wins 2008 Physical Activity Challenge competition.
- Austin American Statesman-Higher Education Notes. "Employee Wellness Encouraged".
Continue the challenge: Even though the UT System competition is over, you can continue using the free tool. Just follows the steps on the right-side bar.
Stay tuned for our next UT System Physical Activity Challenge that will take place in September or we should call it "STEP-ember".
Questions or Comments? Email: RRoman@UTSystem.edu
What is America on the Move 2008: University of Texas Ultimate Challenge?
When individuals set personalized goals that match their needs, they’re more likely to initiate and maintain change. Because most Americans get little physical activity, setting ambitious initial goals, like walking 10,000 steps a day or following severely restricted diets, can be too daunting. America on the Move 2008: University of Texas Ultimate Challenge finds the small steps approach with starting goals of an extra 2,000 steps and 100 fewer calories per day are more doable. Incremental goals enable individuals to set their own pace, which in turn builds confidence to do more over time. America on the Move 2008: University of Texas Ultimate Challenge focuses on the importance of the balance between energy expenditure and calorie intake to successfully prevent weight gain.
What would the accomplishment be?
You will be competing against all UT System Institutions. The Institution with the greatest participation (based on % of total headcount) and improvement (based on % of improvement) will win the “America On the Move UT System Ultimate Challenge Traveling Trophy.”
Also, the interactive tracking tool will take you to "The Oregon Trail" route, which was used as one of the greatest migrations of people in this country's history. The trail was used by pioneer settlers traveling to Oregon Country in the Pacific Northwest to claim land that was initially free, and then inexpensive, to purchase. The Oregon Trail spanned over half the continent, stretching 2,170 miles west through territories that would later become Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho, and Oregon.
This 6-week Challenge will run from May 28-July 9, 2008 (42 Days). You should be able to complete the program with ~8,266 Average Steps/Day.
Frequently Asked Questions
You may visit the Frequently Asked Questions page to help you understand and navigate the America on the Move-University of Texas Ultimate Challenge Website.
America on the Move-University of Texas Ultimate Challenge Goals and Objectives.
- Raise participants’ awareness of their current physical activity level and nutrition habits;
- Motivate them to make positive physical activity and healthful eating behavior changes daily, such as increasing daily physical activity level by 2,000 steps and eating 100 fewer calories, within the 6-week challenge;
- Build understanding of the importance of achieving energy balance for weight control;
- Collect data to recognize participant accomplishments and support future program decisions;
- Recognize achievements of individuals and institutions within our University System;
- Make the workplace a supportive environment for active living and healthful eating; and
- Create a fun and friendly challenge among institutions during the 6-week challenge.
- Enroll 20% of the eligible U.T. System workforce in the 6-week America on the Move 2008: University of Texas Ultimate Challenge;
- Have 35% of participants increase daily physical activity by 2,000 steps or more over their baseline and eat 100 fewer daily calories within the initial challenge;
- Achieve a 25% participant completion rate of the America on the Move 2008: University of Texas Ultimate Challenge evaluation;
- Have 50% or more participants recommend America on the Move 2008: University of Texas Ultimate Challenge to their friends and family.
Each time you enter either steps or minutes of activity, the program will convert that activity to program miles and plot your progress along the trail. By meeting the average daily step goal required by the trail, you will be able to reach your final trail destination in the allotted time of 42 days or six weeks. Are you up for the Challenge?
How to join the America on the Move-University of Texas Ultimate Challenge?
Sign up today! This 6-week Challenge will start on May 28, 2008. To join America On the Move-University of Texas Ultimate Challenge, complete the following instructions:
- Go to www.americaonthemove.org
- Click "Join Now"
- Select "Individual" registration
- Use Registration Code: RUT106260
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete your registration. Include your institution name on Address #2 so we can identify the locations and will be able to compete for the “America On the Move -UT System Ultimate Challenge Traveling Trophy”.
Example: Address #2: "UT Arlington", or "UT Austin"...