January> Wellness Wise
THE WAY TO WELLNESS
NEW YEAR! NEW YOU! Free programs to keep you healthy in 2012
The University of Texas System is committed to making 2012 happier and healthier for all of our members. If managing your weight is on the resolution list, visit the Living Well Health Manager, powered by WebMD (Link to Weight Management Health Topic on WebMD site). You’ll find a variety of tools to keep you on-track throughout the New Year.
Quit Smoking Today! We Can Help.
Free Smoking/Tobacco Cessation Program available to all UT SELECT members
Every year in the U.S. over 392,000 people die from tobacco-caused disease, making it the leading cause of preventable death. Another 50,000 people die from exposure to secondhand smoke. Tragically, each day thousands of kids still pick up a cigarette for the first time. The cycle of addiction, illness and death continues. What can be done to stop smoking? The University of Texas System is committed to helping smokers quit by offering our UT SELECT medical covered members with Free Smoking/Tobacco Cessation Programs, Pharmaceutical Therapy and Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT).
Using these pharmaceutical therapy and nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) in conjunction with professional counseling can double your chances of quitting for good. Ask your doctor for help. But remember: Medicine alone can't do all the work. It can help with cravings and withdrawal, but quitting will still be hard at times.
See details of resources available:
- NEW for Plan Year 2011-2012! The UT SELECT Prescription Drug plan covers the following medications at a $0 copayment when they are used for prevention as noted. To receive these medications at a $0 copayment, you must have an authorized prescription for the product and it must be dispensed by a participating mail or retail pharmacy.
- Nicotrol NS: 90-day supply in any 365-day period.
- Nicotrol Inhaler: 90-day supply in any 365-day period.
- Zyban: 90-day supply in any 365-day period.
- Nicorette Gum /Lozenge: 90-day supply in any 365-day period.
- Nicotine Transdermal System: 90-day supply in any 365-day period.
- Chantix: 180-days supply in any 365-day period. For clients who cover OTC nicotine gum, lozenges and patches.
- Talking to an Expert (Professional Counseling) and Online Resource available for FREE!
By instant messaging, by phone or online, we know that every member of our plan is different, this is why we have serveral ways to work with an expert. See what works for you.
- Learn more about medications to help you quit. When you quit smoking, you may feel strange at first. You may feel dull, tense, and not yourself. These are signs that your body is getting used to life without nicotine.
Learn more about all resources available to you and your dependents at our dedicated tobacco/smoking education page at www.livingwell.utsystem.edu/tobacco.htm.
Free Preventive Care and Services – The UT SELECT Medical has always offered robust preventive care benefits including 100% preventive colonoscopy and no cost immunizations for children under 6 years of age. With the implementation of health care reform, since September 1, 2011, certain additional preventive care and services have been available to you with no copayment or coinsurance as long as you see a network provider and meet certain screening eligibility requirements. Learn more and make your preventive care screening appointment today.
Resources Available to You and your Dependents:
- What are your Health Goals? The Living Well Health Manager powered by WebMD HealthQuotient (HQ) helps you identify your personal health risks, provides recommendations for improving those risks, and informs you of the easy-to-use tools to help make healthy lifestyle changes. Complete the WebMD HQ, go to www.webmdhealth.com/ut.
- Stress Management Lifestyle Improvement Program teaches you about how stress can affect your life and gives you tools and tips for managing and reducing the impact it has on your health. Learn more at our Living Well Health Manager powered by WebMD.
- Lifestyle Improvement Programs gives you the support and tools you need to stop smoking, eat healthier, manage your weight, improve your fitness, and even manage stress. Learn more at our Living Well Health Manager powered by WebMD.
- Emotional Health Lifestyle Improvement Program A positive mood is an important key to continued emotional health and well-being. Changing your lifestyle to maintain a positive mood takes time and real effort. But, with the help of this program, you can do it. And it's worth it: Achieving and maintaining a positive mood can help you lead your daily life with more happiness and well-being, improve your immune system, help prevent illness, reduce stress, and help you stay mentally sharp.
This program contains valuable information about simple but effective techniques that can really help you keep your mood up and your depression risks as low as possible. Learn more at our Living Well Health Manager powered by WebMD.