April > Healthy Recipe of the Month
Healthy Recipe of the Month
Chicken with Dried Plums and Sage
Aromatic fresh sage and sweet dried plums and balsamic vinegar combine for a warming chicken dish. The sauce is delicious spooned over whole wheat couscous or choose a gluten-free option like quinoa. Complete the meal with steamed green beans.
Servings: 4 (one serving of this dish is about 1 chicken breast half and 1/2 cup of sauce)
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 12 pitted dried plums, halved
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Total Per Serving: Calories - 301, Carbs - 19.8gm, Fat - 8.7gm, Protein - 35.4gm.
- Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap;
- Pound to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet;
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 tablespoon sage, salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper;
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat;
- Add chicken to pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until done;
- Remove chicken from pan and keep warm;
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in pan;
- Add onion to pan cook 3 minutes or until tender;
- Stir in wine and broth and bring mixture to a boil;
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon sage and halved dried plums to pan and cook for 4 minutes or until mixture thickens;
- Stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper and vinegar.
Source: Cooking Light, December 2008
Have a favorite healthy recipe? Share it with us at email@example.com.