December 2013 > Super-Fast Holiday Recipes
Healthy Recipe of the Month
Super-Fast Holiday Recipes
We can all can get a bit pressed for time during the holiday season. Having several recipes available that can be made in a flash can help get you out of the kitchen and back into the celebration.
Delicious flavor and appealing presentation don’t have to go out the window just because you’re pressed for time. Whether you need a quick dish to round out your holiday menu, or you find yourself throwing together a last-minute holiday party, or you just need a quick meal for a casual evening at home, there is a quick recipe to fit the bill.
Try out the Mocha Chocolate Sauce recipe below for a quick and simple dessert option, or visit this holiday collection from Cooking Light for other ideas including side dishes and main course options. The recipes available include:
- Creamy Herbed Mashed Potatoes,
- Southwestern Pork Soup,
- Brussels Sprouts with Crisp Prosciutto,
- Kale with Garlic and Peppers,
- Chocolate Bruschetta, and
- Easy Individual Apple Crisps.
All of these dishes can be ready in 20 minutes or less, so you'll have more time for a little holiday cheer.
Mocha Chocolate Sauce with Pound Cake
An easy, versatile chocolate sauce dresses up store-bought pound cake for a simple dessert offering.
For a festive fondue dessert, substitute an orange-flavored liqueur like Triple Sec for the coffee-flavored one (or omit the liqueur altogether), and dunk fresh orange sections, dried apricots, marshmallows, or pretzel rods into the sauce. Or make this as a topping for reduced-fat ice cream.
Servings: 6 (serving size: 2 cake slices, 1/3 cup raspberries, and about 2 tablespoons of sauce)
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 3 ounces premium-quality semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon coffee-flavored liqueur
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (10.75-ounce) low-fat loaf pound cake (such as Sara Lee), cut into 12 slices
- 2 cups raspberries
Total Per Serving: Calories - 306, Carbs - 56.3 gm, Fat - 8.2 gm, Protein - 4.1 gm.
- Heat milk in top of a double boiler over medium heat.
- Add chocolate to pan; Cook 2 minutes or until smooth, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sugar, corn syrup, liqueur, and vanilla; Cook 2 minutes or until smooth, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Serve with pound cake and raspberries.
Source: Cooking Light