July 2013 > Special ANNUAL ENROLLMENT Edition for UT System Employees > Tobacco Premium Program
Tobacco Premium Program
Make Your Certification During Annual Enrollment
The use of tobacco is one of the leading preventable health risks worldwide. UT System is truly committed to promoting a culture of wellness and disease prevention, and also recognizes the significant costs associated with treating tobacco related health conditions. The Tobacco Premium Program (TPP) addresses these issues and applies to tobacco users aged 16 and over who are enrolled in the UT SELECT Medical plan.
What is the TPP and who does the TPP apply to?
- An out-of-pocket premium of $30 per month
- Applies to any tobacco user (16 and over) enrolled in the UT SELECT Medical plan
TPP Out-of-Pocket Costs
|Tobacco User||Monthly Out-of-Pocket Cost||Additional Details|
|Employee||$30 per month||The TPP premium for dependent children is $30 per month regardless of how many children use tobacoo.
The maximum TPP premium is $90 per family per month.
|Spouse||$30 per month|
|Child(ren)||$30 per month|
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is considered a tobacco user?
- A person, aged 16 or over, who has used any tobacco products within the past sixty (60) days.
What is included in the definition of “tobacco products” under the TPP?
- Cigarettes, cigars, and pipes;
- All forms of smokeless tobacco (chewing tobacco, snuff, dip, or any other product that contains tobacco);
- Clove cigarettes;
- Any other smoking devices that use tobacco, such as hookahs; and,
- E-cigarettes, which contain nicotine.
Where and how do I certify that I use tobacco or that one or more of my dependents use tobacco?
- During Annual Enrollment (July 15, 2013 to July 31), all employees and retirees enrolled in the UT SELECT Medical plan need to make a ‘Tobacco User Declaration’ for themselves and any covered dependents by logging into My UT Benefits or by contacting your institution’s HR or Benefits office.
- At any other time of year, to certify your tobacco use status or the status of one or more of your dependents, you should print out, complete, and sign a “Tobacco Use Declaration” form. Submit the completed and signed form to your institution’s HR/Benefits Office.
How can the UT SELECT Medical plan help me quit using tobacco?
- UT System provides UT SELECT Medical participants assistance in quitting tobacco by offering:
- Free Smoking/Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Pharmaceutical Therapy
- Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) for UT SELECT Medical participants.
- All of these programs are currently available. Additional details can be found on the UT Living Well website at www.livingwell.utsystem.edu/tobacco.htm.
If I am a tobacco user and currently have a signed physician’s statement on file exempting me from the TPP, do I need to recertify my exemption?
- Yes, in order to keep your exemption current and avoid TPP monthly charges, you must submit an updated, signed physician’s statement each year.
Where can I learn more about the TPP?
- A page of Frequently Asked Questions about the Tobacco Premium Program is available on OEB’s website at: www.utsystem.edu/benefits/medical/tobacco.htm