November 2013 > Maintain, Don't Gain
Maintain, Don't Gain During the Holiday Season
It all begins each year with Halloween and the thrill of those enticing little candy treats. Then Thanksgiving greets you with its creamy mashed potatoes and sweet pumpkin pie. And soon after, the holiday season will be marked by tables filled with rich appetizers, eggnog, and desserts galore!
The temptations of holiday indulgence can be hard to avoid, but you have the power (the willpower, that is) to fight unhealthy urges and make healthier choices. For a few helpful tips on having a healthier holiday season, watch the brief video below. If you need extra support for maintaining your overall health and wellness during the holiday season, remember that many resources are available to you year round through these programs:
- Living Well Nutrition and Weight Management Programs
Would you like to lose weight, gain strength, or just feel better? As a member of the UT SELECT medical plan, you and your dependents receive access to free online nutrition tools and resources to help you reach your goals.
- Create a meal plan based on your food preferences, sensitivities, or any medical conditions.
- Print the meal plans, different food options, and a grocery shopping list.
- Use the food log to track what you eat each day on your computer or your smart phone.
- Find easy-to-make recipes along with nutritional information.
- Send messages to a registered dietician for answers to your own personal nutritional questions.
- The UT Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides confidential assistance to help you resolve problems that affect your personal life or job performance. The EAP can help with stress, depression, alcohol or drug problems, financial issues, interpersonal problems and much more. To find your local EAP vendor, visit www.livingwell.utsystem.edu/eap.htm.
- Health & Wellness Programs available at Your Institution. Learn more about programs and services available at your institutions. Find your local Institution’s program website at www.utsystem.edu/benefits/livingwell/institutionprograms.htm.
UT System's "Living Well: Make it a Priority" Worksite Health & Wellness program provides a wealth of resources dedicated to your better health. Find additional helpful information at: www.livingwell.utsystem.edu.