April 2014 > Quick! Exercise!
Do you think you have to spend an hour or more at the gym every day to get enough exercise?
You might be surprised to learn that a few 10-minute exercise sessions can give you the same health benefits as one longer period of physical activity. Finding time for a few shorter sessions can be more manageable for many people.
Add some exercise to your day and increase your daily step count by following these quick tips:
- Take a 10-minute walk first thing in the morning (while your coffee brews or tea steeps), again before you eat your lunch, and then another after dinner. Invite family members or co-workers to join you.
- When you go shopping, park as far from the store as you can and return your shopping cart to the corral farthest from your car.
- Play with your kids or dog. Choose active games, like soccer or chase, and get involved rather than just supervising.
- Have a walking meeting at work. This works especially well for quick discussions with one or two other people. You can also walk over to another person's desk for a quick chat instead of calling or emailing.
- Take a few stretch breaks throughout the day.
The Living Well Health Platform at https://livingwell.provantonline.com can help you keep track of and add up your physical activity sessions.
To log steps from your pedometer, log in and go to the "Exercise" header, then select the "Steps Log." Enter your number of steps and click "Add Steps."
To log all types of physical activity, including walking or running without a pedometer, log into the platform and go to the "Exercise" header, then select the "Cardio Log." Choose your exercise type from the drop-down menu, enter the number of minutes you spent doing that exercise, and if you know it, enter your heart rate (optional). Click "Add Exercise" to finish.
If you have any questions about the platform, please contact Provant at (888) 703-2296 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.