biosketch as of 1978
WALTER G. STERLING of Houston was appointed to the Board of
Regents of The University of Texas System by Governor Dolph Briscoe
in January 1975 to serve a six-year term.
last updated September 1978
Mr. Sterling earned a law degree from The University of Texas at Austin
in 1925 and has been active in the Ex-Students' Association, of which he
is a life member. He is also a member of the U. T. System Chancellor's
Council and serves on the advisory council of the U. T. Austin McDonald
He is president of the board of trustees of the Hermann Hospital
Estate and a director of the Texas Medical Center, Inc.
A prominent businessman, Mr. Sterling is president of Royalty
Properties, Richmond Manufacturing Company, S. H. Oil and Royalty
Company and the Real Estate Corporation.
He has held several national offices, including a vice presidency and
President General (1968-69) of the National Society of the Sons of The
American Revolution and is active in Houston and Texas SAR organizations.
He was awarded a Minute Man Medal in 1965. He also is a member of the
Sons of the Republic of Texas and Patriotic Education, Inc.
Mr. Sterling served as a member of the Texas Election Law Study
Committee from 1962 to 1966 and was chairman of the Harris County
Redistricting Committee in 1966-67. He was a member of the Harris
County Democratic Executive Committee 1956-68 and served as secretary
1962-66. He was a member of the Texas Democratic Executive Committee
and chairman of its finance committee 1960-62.
He has several Masonic affiliations, has been chairman of the
Association of Christian Schools and is a former chairman of the Houston-
Harris County Tuberculosis Christmas Seal Sale. He is a member and
past president of both the Lakeside Country Club and of the Petroleum Club