Print Friendly PageSend Page
The new University of Texas in the Rio Grande Valley will provide an outstanding education to the students of South Texas, Texas, the United States and the world.This education will be of the highest quality; it will be affordable, accessible and innovative. The new university will transform Texas and the nation by becoming a leader in student success, teaching, research and healthcare.
Goals / Guiding Principles
- Fully integrate next generation technology and customized learning to increase affordability and maximize student success.
- Promote access to postsecondary education to a diverse student body to become one of the largest and most successful Hispanic-serving institutions in the U.S.A.
- Employ the highest quality faculty members and staff who pursue global excellence in teaching, research, healthcare and service.
- Streamline academic and administrative programs and re-design processes to increase productivity and promote a student- and service-centered mode of operation.
- Promote arts and humanities programs to produce state, national and world leaders who are bicultural, bi-lingual, and bi-literate.
- Develop programmatic strength in the areas of science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and health.
- Develop a Medical School of the first class, with outstanding undergraduate and graduate medical education, public health, health professional degrees and clinical research, to improve the health of the community.
- Become a global leader in higher education, health education, bio-medical research, emerging technology and preparing students to be lifelong learners .
- Pursue applied and translational research to address critical local, state, national, and global needs.
- Build on the excellent economic activity and strength of the State of Texas and benefit from the State’s leadership in the world.
- Provide a leadership role in fostering economic and community partnerships to help solve local, state, national, and global problems.
- Promote innovation and knowledge discovery with business and industry that will lead to job growth and improvements in the quality of the region’s workforce.
- Build a hub for inventions and intellectual property that will lead to economic and community prosperity and an improved quality of life for the region, the State, the nation and our world.
- Serve as a “Gateway to the Americas” by cultivating partnerships with global leaders in education, health, research and other strategic, high-growth industries.
- Leverage the size, strength, and excellence of the University of Texas System and its fifteen outstanding institutions to shorten the time it takes to achieve these goals.
Download the Guiding Principles in English.