Print Friendly PageSend Page
Updated on Dec 12, 2013.
View 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015
- The University of Texas System Board of Regents approves transformational plan to create new university in South Texas
- Texas Legislature passes Senate Bill 24 authorizing creation of new university in South Texas that will also include a previously authorized new medical school
- Governor Perry signs Senate Bill 24 into law to create new university
- Board of Regents approves guiding principles for new university
- Bill signing events in South Texas
- Formation of transition leadership team led by UT System
- Board of Regents launches national search for new university president
- Initiate accreditation process with Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)
- Formation of campus-based and regional advisory groups and work teams
- Chancellor begins holding monthly town hall meetings with faculty, staff, students and community members
- Campus-based work teams finalized
- Collaborative work begins on new university mission, goals, curriculum and academic programs, organizational structure, administrative functions, etc.
- Julio León, former president of Missouri Southern State University, is hired to serve as special advisor to The University of Texas System’s Office of Academic Affairs for six to nine months until the president of the new university is named.
- Sept. 24 - Chancellor conducts monthly Community Engagement meeting.
- Marketing efforts under way to promote new university to regional, state, national and international communities
- Presidential Search Advisory Committee named for new UT in South Texas
- Oct. 24 - Chancellor conducts monthly Community Engagement meeting
- University-based working groups hold kickoff meetings as first step to consolidate UTB and UTPA programs for new university.
- Campaign to collect community input on a name for the new university is launched.
- Forum on Community Engagement held in Hidalgo County.
- Regents unanimously vote to appropriate $196 million in PUF funding for new university and medical school.
- Nov. 20 - Chancellor conducts monthly Community Engagement meeting and press conference.
- Name for new university finalized: The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
- Jan. 14 - Chancellor conducts monthly Community Engagement meeting
- Feb. 26 - Chancellor conducts monthly Community Engagement meeting
- New medical school dean announced
March / April
- President of new university announced
- New university conceptual design continues
- Academic and administrative transition plans initiated
- Recruitment of inaugural first class
- New university prospectus due to SACS
- SACS approves new university
- Inaugural class enrolls in new university