Jim Phillips is the Managing Attorney of the Business Law Section. The Section is organized into three key practice groups and additional specialty practices. Attorneys in the Section are Mark Bentley, James Cox, Evan Fitzmaurice, Mark Gentle, Dana Hollingsworth, Don Jansen, BethLynn Maxwell, Scott Patterson, Edwin Smith, Paul Steinkraus, and Kyle ZumBerge.
Staff are Chris Jackson, Christine Pavalasky, and Marcella Trant.
This Section supports the commercial and business activities of UT System and UT institutions and provides legal counsel and advice primarily to the chief business officers and the departments under their supervision. The Section is responsible for legal matters relating to:
- construction contracts and disputes;
- environmental, health and safety issues;
- equipment and services procurement and contracting;
- gifts, estates and trusts;
- intellectual property research and development, protection and technology transfer;
- oil and gas leasing and production;
- public finance; and
- tax and employee benefits.