The goal and purpose of the Department Safety Liaison (DSL) Program is to maintain a safe and healthy workplace through:
- Distribution of fire, life safety and emergency response information
- Coordination of educational meetings and safety training
- Use the Facility Work Order System to request safety services and to report hazards
- Monthly work area inspections
- Monthly fire extinguisher inspections
- Serve as the point of contact for safety issues in their department.
- Distribute safety information to departmental staff.
- Attend quarterly meetings to discuss safety issues confronting departments.
- Maintain an updated DSL handbook that includes safety programs, an emergency response and evacuation plan for their work area, responder lists for First Aid, CPR, AED and other safety related information.
- Provide information and direction to their department during evacuation exercises and in the event of an emergency.
- Identify mobility-impaired individuals in their department that may need assistance in the event of an emergency.
- Maintain the department's First Aid kit provided by the Office of Risk Management (ORM).
- Communicate the dates and times of safety training classes to department staff in cooperation with ORM.
- Perform monthly work area and fire extinguisher inspections using the proper checklist found in ORM Portal.
- Input safety-related hazard reports, deficiencies and requests into Facility Work Order System
For questions or comments regarding the Department Safety Liaison Program, contact Risk Control at 512.499.4661.