The University of Texas System Board of Regents discussed and took action on several agenda items related to the UT System’s education, research, patient care and service mission. Highlights of the meeting include:
- A report on the progress of the UT Horizon Fund 
- Results of a pro bono external review by Vinson & Elkins LLP of technology transfer activities across the UT System 
- UT Austin President William C. Powers presentation of research activities at the institution’s J.J. Pickle Research Campus in North Austin 
- Revisions to the Mission Statements  of six academic and one health institution within the UT System
- UT Medical Branch at Galveston President David C. Callender’s presentation on the institution's recent advancements in its research mission 
- The designation of Dr. Bruce Beutler  as a Regental Professor. Dr. Beutler was recognized last month with the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. He holds the Raymond and Ellen Willie Distinguished Chair in Cancer Research and is director of the Center for the Genetics of Host Defense at UT Southwestern
Dr. Bruce Beutler is recognized by the UT Southwestern community for winning the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.