The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), 20 U.S.C. §1232g, and the Texas Public Information Act, Texas Government Code § 552.001 et seq., are respectively a federal and state law that provide students with the following rights with respect to their student educational records:
- to inspect and review the student's education records;
- to consent to disclosure of the student's education records to third parties, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent;
- to request amendment of the student's education records to ensure that they are not inaccurate or misleading;
- to be notified of the student's privacy rights under FERPA;
- to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA.