New Policies and Procedures
Following an extensive review of travel procurement and reimbursement practices, effective May 15, 2013, UT System Administration and all institutions will adopt a new travel management strategy. The changes will result in improved services for travelers/travel arrangers, streamlined contract management, cost savings on a Systemwide basis and compliance with duty of care requirements specific to international travel. All business travel airline reservations must be made through U. T. System contract travel agencies or approved online booking tools. In addition, all car rental reservations must be made with one of five UT System contract car vendors using specific rate identifier codes.
Texas Comptrollers State Mileage Reimbursement Rates
Effective January 1, 2013 the mileage reimbursement rate will be 56.5 cents per mile.
Mileage: 55.5 cents per mile for the time period of 7/1/11 through 12/31/12
Mileage: 51.0 cents per mile for the time period of 1/1/11 through 6/30/11
Mileage: 50.0 cents per mile for the time period of 1/1/10 through 12/31/10
Mileage: 55.0 cents per mile for the time period of 1/1/09 through 12/31/09
Mileage: 58.5 cents per mile for the time period of 6/3/08 through 12/31/08
Mileage: 50.5 cents per mile for the time period of 1/1/08 through 6/3/08
Mileage: 48.5 cents per mile for the time period of 9/1/07 through 12/31/07
Mileage: 44.5 cents per mile for the time period of 1/1/06 through 8/31/07
Mileage: 48.5 cents per mile for the time period of 10/1/05 through 12/31/05
Mileage: 40.5 cents per mile for the time period of 9/1/05 through 9/31/05
UT Austin's International Office offers Passport Services and Lonely Planet Travel Guides to UT Staff and Faculty. Access the International Office web site for office hours, location and applicable fees.
Travel to Washington, D.C.
Employees must notify the UT System Administration Office of Federal Relations prior to all travel to Washington, D.C.
Article 9, Section 6.19C of the Appropriations Act has changed reporting requirements to the Texas Office of State and Federal Relations (OSFR). Effective September 1, 2005, OSFR requires prior notification only when travel involves a) obtaining or spending federal funds or b) impacting federal policies. The OSFR web site is: http://www.osfr.state.tx.us.
International Travel Assistance
24-hour medical and emergency response services are available to System Administration employees traveling internationally on official university business. These services offer assistance with a variety of travel related issues -- from doctor referrals to emergency evacuation. The service also provides destination information, travel alerts and traveler locator services tailored to the individual itinerary.
Once you access the site, you'll also find information on securing services at a 20% discount for vacation and leisure travel.
International SOS, UT System’s travel safety and security assistance company, has established a web site with information pertaining to Influenza H1N1. The link to the site is listed below – information will be updated on a continual basis.
Safe and Efficient Travel
Travel continues to become more complex due to industry and world events. The following are recommendations to assist with safe and efficient travel:
- Make business travel reservations via a UT authorized travel agency or UT online booking tool. Travel booked through airline or other vendor Web sites can be difficult to access during emergency situations and our agencies can not provide assistance with these reservation
- Provide a co-worker with both business and after hour telephone numbers
- Allow extra time for all aspects of travel - from ground transportation to airport security check-in
- Minimize jewlry and carry-on items that may trigger airport screening machines
- If you change your travel plans while on the road, notify a co-worker of a revised schedule
- Be aware of your surroundings and stay current on world events
- International travel requires special precautions. Contact your travel consultant or travel administrator for additional information.
- Access web sites for up-to-date information (see below)
- Reconfirm all flights (outbound and return)
- Department of Homeland Security - information on homeland security (www.dhs.gov)
- U.S. State Department - travel warnings and public travel and safety announcements (www.state.gov/travel)
- Transportation Safety Administration - travel security information (www.tsa.gov)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - information on medical conditions in specific countries (www.cdc.gov)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency - emergency prevention, preparation and management (www.fema.gov)
- International SOS - global medical services assistance (www.utsystem.edu/travel/international.htm)