Faculty Advisory Council
Thursday March 26
1. Call to Order
Chair Michael Siciliano called the meeting to order at 10:05 am.
2. Minutes Approval
The minutes of the March FAC meeting were approved as distributed.
3. Introduction of Members
The new members, alternate members and existing members of the FAC introduced themselves.
4. Comments from the Chair and Executive Committee Report
5. Distance Learning
Ivor Page discussed the current status of the Distance Learning Policy and his discussions with Dr. Mario Gonzalez. He also discussed the situation with the University of Phoenix. Joe Stafford was supposed to provide us with information on this issue, but has not done so to date. The University of Phoenix has 48,000 degree seeking students. There is a concern that this is a degree granting process rather than a learning process. Others are also jumping on board this band wagon. We have to have data in order to evaluate whether this is a real or perceived threat to traditional higher education institutions. Alan Cline raised the question of whether we should be looking at this issue from an academic standpoint or from the view of getting our share of the market. This type of university does not have the same type of relationship with faculty or face the same faculty issues as traditional universities. Tenure would not be an issue in this type of university.
Allen Martin reported giving two presentations at the recent AAUP meeting. He provided a summary of activity within the UT System. He reiterated that we have a huge amount of catching up to do.
6. Campus Reports
UT El Paso - Mo Mahmood distributed a report from his campus and summarized the report. His report included: 1) Faculty Grievance Procedure (which did not use the model policy) has been approved by the faculty and awaits approval by the president; 2) Conflict of Interest Policy has been developed and will soon come before the senate; and 3) Meeting with Regent Donald Evans occurred during commencement exercises and indicated that the Regents will meet with the FAC.
UT Southwestern - Tim Wolff distributed a report from his campus and summarized the report. His report included: 1) New Dean, who is a nephrologist, has been chosen for the medical school (the outgoing dean will continue as VPAA); 2) New Track has been approved for clinical faculty; and 3) New Program in Public Health has been implemented.
UT Houston HSC - Terese Verklan reported for her campus. Her report included: 1)Policy addition to the HOOP regarding providing information to UT employees; 2) Search committee has been appointed for a dean of the graduate school; 3) Statement to promote multiyear contracts has been developed; 4) Non-Reappointment is still an issue; 5) Academy of Teaching Excellence is still being explored; 6) Grievance policy has been reviewed and the model policy has not been used; and 7) Benefits continue to be reviewed.
UT Tyler HC - Jerry Mclarty reported for his campus. His report included: 1) Results of evaluation of administrators, with a high response rate; 2) Grievance policies from research and clinical faculty was rejected by the OGC in preference to a single policy from the campus; and 3) Incentive plan may not be legal and is being revisited ( there are ways around this, but NIH may start taking even closer looks). Robert Cline reported for the clinical faculty which included: 1) Salary designations for state vs. clinical income are coupled to an incentive plan (all but 6 faculty heavily involved in teaching reached their basic goal for generating income); and 2) Interim director has made some administrative changes.
UT San Antonio HSC - George Knight reported for his campus. His report included: 1) Settlement of the Medicare fraud allegations, which include returning 17.2 million dollars but no admission of wrong doing (the money will come from the MSRDP reserve fund) (Joel Dunnington explained the purpose of these reserve funds).
UT Austin - Shelley Payne reported for her campus. Her report included: 1) Search for a new executive vice president and provost; 2) Staff salaries continue to be an issue; 3) Admissions data indicate that enrollment figures for first year enrollees will reach nearly 6,000; and 4) the "Stadium" Club is expected to provide modest income to academic programs and will provide some free memberships to certain individuals such as the chair of the Faculty Council. Martha Hilley reported that the evaluation of administrators is still underway, but is moving slowly.
UT Arlington - Rod Hissong report for his campus. His report included: 1) Policies and procedures (AP&T, Grievance, PTR, Academic Program Review, and Review of Academic Administrators) approved and have or will be implemented (some need to be reviewed again because promotion and tenure decisions are made by administrators instead of faculty, the Faculty Quality Committee will look at this issue); 2) Athletics to be financed by mandatory student fees (other schools are looking at this as a way to finance their athletics); 3) two New Deans have been appointed and still searching for two more; and 4) Student who failed a Ph.D. candidacy exam wants to appeal.
UT San Antonio - Walt Richardson reported for his campus. His report included: 1) Equity issues havent been resolved; 2) Evaluation of administrators is still an issue; 3) Grievance policy is still needed; 4) Chancellor Cunningham visited the campus shortly after the resignation of the Provost ( the whole office of Academic Affairs had been dismantled); and 5) the President has resigned effective next year, which prompted another visit by the Chancellor (many concerns were raised to the Chancellor about the one year lag time). Betty Travis added that the Chancellor admitted to knowing about the problems at UTSA for several years, but was getting conflicting messages from the president and faculty. Information coming out of the FAC may have helped validate these problems. Political pressure may have also contributed to the outcome. The former provost has been named to a UT System position.
UT Pan American - Gerald Brazier reported for his campus. His report included: 1) Grievance policy approved; 2) New Provost who started June 1; 3) the six deans on campus have all been there for a short time and may provide opportunities for change; 4) Nursing students who get a D appeal their grade because otherwise they would be dismissed, yet the appeal process tends to delay inevitable dismissals; and 5) Department chairs are elected and there is a question about whether lecturers should play a role in the election process (How many campuses elect chairs? Only a few campuses elect chairs and it may vary by college. Faculty Quality will look into this issue.). Sue Mottinger reported that the new Provost plans to evaluate each dean twice a year.
UT Dallas - Robert Nelsen distributed a report from his campus. His report included: 1) Graduate and undergraduate catalogues approved; 2) Undergraduate grades will be based on a 12 point system, partly in response to student concerns (a table was provided that summarized grading policies at the top 50 U.S. universities); 3) Public events policy has been developed in response to a situation involving a play with public nudity; 4) SACS accreditation recommended syllabi be developed for every course; and 5) PTR is moving along with duly elected peer review committees.
UT Tyler - Allen Martin reported for his campus. His report included: 1) Upward evaluation of administrators still hasnt been implemented (along with several other policies); 2) about 70 first year students will be selected this year; and 3) President Hamm will head up the development board and a new president will take office. Allen also made some further
Comments about his meeting with the AAUP.
UT MB Galveston - Adrian Perachio reported for his campus. His report included: 1) Faculty Governance now exists on his campus; 2) New VP for research has been named; 3) Information Technology is being upgraded and faculty have been involved in the decision process; 4) Town Meetings have been initiated to give faculty an open forum to ask questions; 5) Upward evaluation will begin with the deans, VPs and the president; and 6) PBL is being implemented which will place a large demand on the faculty (other schools are trying this with varying success).
UT Permian Basin - Corbett Gaulden distributed a report from his campus. His report included: 1) Upward Evaluation of administrators is in place; 2) PTR is being implemented; 3) Senate Summary of activities; and 4) SACS accreditation is in preparation. Lois Hale noted that their president doesnt know when he will come up for PTR and asked if that was the case at other campuses.
UT Brownsville - Charles Lackey reported for his campus. His report included: 1) Instituting a new enrollment management and advising system titled "Colleague."; 2) New Administrators being sought, including a dean for graduate studies and VPAA; and 3) Board of Governors Conference is meeting at Brownsville today and tomorrow.
UT MD Anderson - Joel Dunnington reported for his campus. His report included: 1) Salary data has been obtained on paper and a disk should be received shortly; 2) Question of whether department chairs should be included in the senate; 3) Upward evaluation still incomplete; 4) New representative to the FAC ; 5) Faculty who are heavily involved in teaching dont get the big salary increases because increases are based on clinic productivity.
7. Comments from the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs - Dr. Edwin Sharpe
Dr. Sharpe apologized for not being able to meet with the FAC this morning. He reported a reorganization in the office of Academic Affairs based on decisions that were made last year. The Office will not be as involved in closely monitoring the campuses. Joe Staffords staff will be increased in order to improve that area. The Office will not be a funnel for the academic campuses who will now deal directly with OGC, etc.
8. Nominations for Chair-Elect
Three nominations have been received for the Chair-Elect position, James Berry (UT Houston HSC), Joel Dunnington (UT MD Anderson) and Terese Verklan (UT Houston HSC). There were no further nominations from the floor so the nominations were closed. Each of the candidates gave a short presentation of their backgrounds and expectations for the FAC.
9. Nominations for Secretary
Two nominations have been received for Secretary, Alan Cline (UT Austin) and Jack Gilbert (UT Austin). Nominations will remain open until after the election for Chair-Elect. Shelley Payne read a letter from Jack Gilbert who could not be present. Alan Cline made some remarks on his own behalf.
10. Committee Meeting - The Council adjourned to committee meetings at 3:05 pm.
Friday June 26
11. Call to Order - The meeting was reconvened by Chair Siciliano at 9:00am who reminded the standing committees that, in addition to preparing a committee report, they need to identify co-chairs for next year and major issues to be addressed at the meeting with the Regents.
12. Recognition of Pam Johnson - Ivor Page presented a gift to Pam Johnson in appreciation of her efforts on behalf of the FAC over the past several years. Pam will be moving to a position with the Board of Regents along with Francie Frederick.
13. Elections - A secret ballot election was conducted for the position of chair-elect between candidates James Berry, Joel Dunnington and Terese Verklan. Joel Dunnington was elected by a majority vote. There being no further nominations for the position of secretary, a secret ballot election was conducted between candidates Alan Cline and Jack Gilbert. Alan Cline was elected by a majority vote.14. Variance of Insurance Premiums Across Components - Ms. Teresa Burroff
Ms. Burroff distributed two documents to the FAC, "Three Year Experience In Loss Order" and Cost For Medical and Dental Coverage in Plan Year 98-99". She explained how insurance rates are set based on previous years experience at the various components. With the PPO, the risk is shared across components, but with the HMO, the risk must be analyzed by individual components.
15. Committee Meetings - The Council recessed to committee meetings at 10:18 am.
16. Committee Reports
Academic Affairs Committee - Corbett Gaulden reported that Corbett Gaulden and Fernando Rodriguez will remain as co-chairs. Major issues include core curriculum guidelines and the student discipline guide. The committee will explore these two issue and may broaden the student discipline issue to student accountability.
The Committee has some concerns about the Core Curriculum. Students are supposed to be able to transfer 42 hours of core material to any other institution within the state. Different institutions have different goals and missions and courses may not be the same. The Committee is concerned that transferability may overshadow quality and that we may be inserting a 42 hour program between high school and the university. The Committee will gather the facts and take a closer look at this issue.
Faculty Quality Committee - Jim Bartlett reported that Jim Bartlett and Lois Hale will co-chair the Committee next year. The Committee discussed distance learning and prepared a policy statement they would like to submit to the Chancellor. A motion was made and seconded to send this policy statement to the Chancellor. It was decided to add "and compensation" to the very end of the statement (end of second paragraph). The motion passed. The statement will read:
The Committee would like to work on a model distance learning policy proposal that could be used by individual campuses and would focus on the main issues of interest to faculty. Faculty should be overseeing all courses offered to students, including distance learning courses. This is an area that many faculty do not want to jump into, but there are a lot of good things that can come from it. We need to have structure in place that insures faculty input in the process of setting up distance learning courses or agreements.
A motion was made and seconded to charge the Committee to proceed in this area. The motion passed.
The Committee also discussed the matter of the lecturers role within the university and will continue with these discussions. The Committee is also discussing the issue of promotion and tenure decisions being overturned by administration. Members of the FAC will try to get data on this issue from our individual campuses.
A motion was made and seconded that the FAC members would gather as much data as possible about promotion and tenure decisions that have been overturned and break it down in the appropriate manner for each institution.
Faculty Governance - Betty Travis reported that Betty Travis and Jim Klostergaard will be the co-chairs for next year. The Committee proposed a resolution regarding the interaction of the FGOs at the individual campuses with the OGC to read:
The motion passed. The FAC discussed possible ways to implement this resolution and whether it should be sent to Mr. Farabee or to the Chancellor or both. Comment - One of the advantages of going to Mr. Farabee first is to establish our ability to help write these policies. It was decided to send it to Mr. Farabee.
The Committee also discussed the issue of Non-Reappointment and the provision of reasons for such actions. The Committee will gather information from other systems on this issue.
The Committee is also concerned about the lack of faculty input in problems such as those that occurred at UTSA. The Committee would like to develop a better vehicle for faculty input.
The Committee is also concerned about pressure being applied to adopt the Systems model Grievance Policy, particularly for those campuses that dont have their own policy. The Committee asked the Executive Committee for guidance in this matter.
Jim Klostergaard distributed a proposed change in the Regents Rules 6.2 that would make tenure uniform across the System and also link tenure with compensation. Added language would include: "and at each institution procedures shall be established for the granting of tenure. 6.2.1 Tenure shall imply an award of a position with linked compensation. Each component institution shall develop its own compensation policies."
A motion was made to present this issue to the Regents (unless there is significant opposition by M.D. Anderson and HC Tyler faculty). The motion passed.
Health Affairs Committee - Joel Dunnington reported that he is the interim chair of the committee until new members arrive. The Committee discussed the 17.2 million dollar penalty that UT San Antonio HSC will have to pay to the federal government. As a result of this action, campus presidents will be the head of all practice plans and compliance procedures must be put into place.
The Committee also discussed the new practice plan contracts that require faculty to turn over their tax returns if requested. The Committee will write a letter to Dr. Mullins opposing this requirement.
The Committee discussed with Mr. Glascock from the OGC the malpractice coverage during pro bono work by physicians or dentists. A decision will be sought to allow such coverage. The Committee was informed that 25 million dollars is being refunded to the practice plans due to savings on malpractice.
The Committee reviewed the new insurance coverage for UT employees and would like enrollment information to be provided in a more timely manner. The Committee would also like to see data, including demographics, for the campuses with large losses in the insurance plan. Other FAC members should provide the Committee with any information regarding problems with the insurance program.
The Committee will request that one of the co-chairs of the Committee be allowed to attend meetings of the Council of Health Institutions. The Committee suggested the following items to discuss with the Regents: 1) problems with EGI; 2) restrictions on physicians regarding outside income; and 3) the impact on academic programs of increased clinical loads.
The next meeting of the FAC will probably be Oct. 1 & 2, 1998, pending confirmation by the hotel. The next Executive meeting will be Sept. 18, 1998.
17. Adjournment - The meeting was adjourned at 3:00pm.
18. Executive Committee Meeting
The meeting was called to order at 3:05pm.
The members of the Executive Committee need to prepare material for the August 13th meeting with the Regents. We need to present things in a positive manner. We will probably have an hour and a half to meet with the Regents. It would be much better if we could have some type of an interactive meeting rather than us just standing at the podium and talking to them. We want them to know that we are deeply concerned about the issues that they are concerned about. It would be nice if Regents contact us after the meeting individually. Legislative issues are probably at the top of their list right now so we should fashion our remarks appropriately. We need to conduct ourselves in a professional manner and due to the time limit, we really need to prioritize the issues. It would be nice if our remarks stir some discussion between the Regents and the Chancellor. We should definitely provide adequate handouts, even if we dont have time to address all of them. We want to know how we can work with the Regents and help them and we will provide a list of FAC members and meeting dates.
We need to decide on three main issues that we want to get across. Maybe two should be general issues and only one should deal with faculty.
The Executive Committee will be called on to make decisions that cant wait until the next FAC meeting and will play an important role in the operation of the FAC.
We will ask for a legislative update at the next FAC meeting and may ask a Legislator and a Regent as well.
Georgia Harper has agreed to be the legal advisor to the FAC. This needs to be approved by Dr. Sharpe (who will , of course, seek permission from the Chancellor).The meeting was adjourned at 3:30pm.