Bachelor of Science in Social Work
The School of Social Work at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley offers a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree that is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. The BSW is a professional degree built on a liberal arts foundation with supporting course content in the social and behavioral sciences. Courses provide basic knowledge of social welfare systems, the social work profession, theories relating to social work practice, skills, value and knowledge necessary for generalist social work practice, and the evaluation of social work practice. It also prepares students to pursue graduate studies in social work and related professions.
To apply to become a social work major, you must have the following:
- 3.0 cumulative GPA
- At least 30 hours of University Core Curriculum requirements, with a 2.0 GPA
- SOCW 2361 Intro to the Social Work Profession, with a grade of “C” or higher
- 6 hours of freshman English, with a grade of “C” or higher
- 3 hours of college algebra or higher-level mathematics, with a grade of “C” or better
You must complete an application process that includes the following:
- Application for Admission into BSW Degree Program - BSW Admission Package
- Copy of unofficial UTRGV transcript
Social Work (MSSW)
The Master of Science in Social Work (MSSW) prepares graduates for advanced practice with Latino individuals and families, and groups or advanced practice with organizations and communities.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or a recognized international equivalent in a similar or related field.
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 in the last 60 semester credit hours.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended (must be submitted directly to UTRGV).
- Personal statement detailing professional goals and reasons for pursuing the graduate degree. (Instructions)
- Three letters of recommendation from professional or academic sources using the following Reference Form. (Reference Form)
- Verified successful completion of a course in basic statistics.
- Professional Resume
Mary D. Valdez, Regional Outreach Representative