Main page content
Summer break will come to a close this month as school is starting back up. Now is a perfect time, before the new plan-year and school-year begins, for everyone in the family to get their annual preventive check-up. Have you scheduled yours with your family doctor?
An annual preventive check-up can help keep you healthy by catching any early signs of illness or chronic conditions that can still be reversed or prevented. At this appointment, your doctor will give a physical exam, may do screenings for blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and will talk with you about any health concerns you may have. The UT SELECT Medical plan covers preventive health care benefits with no-out-of-pocket cost.
When you visit a network provider, preventive care services available as no cost to you include
- Blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol tests;
- Colorectal cancer screening;
- Screenings for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) along with prevention counseling for adults at higher risk;
- Help to stop smoking, lose weight, fight depression, and reduce alcohol abuse; and
- Well-baby and well-child visits, from birth to age 21.
Additional Preventive Care Services for Women:
- Well-woman visits;
- Pap smears (cervical cancer screenings);
- Testing for HPV, the virus that can cause cervical cancer;
- FDA-approved birth control methods and counseling;
- Care to support healthy pregnancies;
- Gestational diabetes screening;
- Breastfeeding support, supplies, and counseling;
- Osteoporosis screenings; and
- Interpersonal and domestic violence screenings and counseling.
This is not a complete list of preventive health care services that are covered by the UT SELECT Medical plan. Talk with your doctor if you have any health concerns, and ask him or her which tests are right for you.
These services come at no out-of-pocket cost when you go to a doctor or clinic in the plan network. To make sure a doctor or clinic is in-network, use the BCBS Provider Finder® tool at www.bcbstx.com/ut/.