Main page content
As the weather cools off, it’s a great time to add some new recipes to your repertoire. Satisfy your family’s cravings with these easy, healthier meals full of warm fall flavors. For more great fall options, visit skinnytaste.com for a whole collection of seasonal fall recipes.
Pasta with Butternut Squash Sauce, Spicy Sausage and Baby Spinach
Pasta in a decadent creamy, homemade, butternut squash pasta sauce, with no cream! The spicy chicken sausage and sage is the perfect compliment, this pasta dish is filling and comforting on a chilly night.
11 oz (4 links) spicy chicken Italian sausage
1 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 tbsp whipped butter
10 oz pasta, wheat or gluten-free
1/4 cup shallots, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
2 tbsp fresh shaved parmesan cheese
4 sage leaves, sliced thin
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add butternut squash and cook until soft.
- Remove squash with a slotted spoon and place in a blender, blend until smooth.
- Add pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions for al dente, reserving at least 1 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep non-stick skillet, sauté sausage over medium heat until browned, breaking up with a spoon as it cooks. When cooked through, set aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and melt the butter, sauté the shallots and garlic until soft and golden, about 5 – 6 minutes.
- Add pureed butternut squash, season with with salt and fresh cracked pepper and add a little of the reserved pasta water (I used about 1 cup) to thin out the sauce to your liking.
- Add baby spinach and stir in parmesan cheese and sage. Toss in cooked pasta and sausage and mix until well coated.
- Serve with additional parmesan cheese on the side if desired.
Source: SkinnyTaste, September 2018
Yield: 5 servings, Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362 calories; Total Fat: 8g; Sodium: 419mg; Carbohydrates: 55g; Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 20g
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken with Black Beans and Corn
This EASY Slow Cooker Chicken dish is cheesy and delicious, made with boneless chicken breast, black beans, corn and salsa topped with melted cheddar cheese. YUM!
2 cups fresh or frozen corn
15 ounce can reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts halved lengthwise (16 oz)
1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning (or salt) to taste
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/4 cups chunky mild salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar (reduced fat Sargento)
chopped cilantro for garnish
optional, serve with avocado and brown rice
- Combine corn and beans and put them in the slow cooker.
- Season the chicken with adobo (or salt), garlic powder and cumin then place in the slow cooker and top with salsa.
- Cover and cook LOW for 6 hours.
- Top with cheese, cover and cook until melted, about 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro.
- To serve, transfer the chicken and vegetables with a slotted spoon and serve over rice or cauliflower rice.
Source: SkinnyTaste, December 2017
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 1 piece chicken, 3/4 cup vegetables
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414 calories; Total Fat: 13g; Sodium: 866mg; Carbohydrates: 43g; Fiber: 8g; Sugar: 6.5g; Protein: 42g