Page title

Important Reminders for UT FLEX Accounts

Main page content

Blog Category
Insurance Insights


UT FLEX Reimbursement for Exercise Expenses and Prescriptions for Over the Counter items

Individuals with medical conditions that can be improved by physical activity are able to receive reimbursement from their healthcare flexible spending account to pay for some exercise programs or equipment. A Letter of Medical Necessity is required to receive reimbursement for exercise-related expenses. You will need to submit a new Letter of Medical Necessity at the beginning of each plan year. You can find complete details on our Physician Exercise Referral page.

Over-the-counter (OTC) medicines and drugs require a written prescription (Rx) from your doctor in order to be eligible for reimbursement. You will need to submit a new prescription at the beginning of each plan year. In addition, OTC medicines and drugs cannot be purchased with a healthcare card such as the UT FLEX debit card.

What if I Have Funds Remaining in my HCRA?

If you have a UT FLEX Health Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA) and/or a UT FLEX Daycare Reimbursement Account (DCRA) with Maestro Health, remember the use-it-or-lose-it rule. This means you will forfeit any funds left in your account at the end of the plan year.

Don't Lose your HCRA Funds: Deadlines

November 15, 2017
Last day to spend your FSA funds
Note: You must incur eligible expenses by this date

November 30, 2017
Last day to submit claims for reimbursement

Note: Maestro Health must receive your claims by this date.

What Can I Spend my Remaining Funds On?

You can visit any time to view your account balance. If you’ve contributed too much to your HCRA and have funds remaining, there are a few things you can do to use them before the grace period ends on November 15, 2017.

  • Before you look for new ways to spend funds, look at potentially overlooked services and products that you may have already spent money on but didn’t realize were HCRA eligible. Although the Affordable Care Act requires that you have a prescription to use your HCRA to pay for over-the-counter medicines and drugs (excluding insulin), the restriction does not affect other health care expenses such as medical devices including blood pressure monitors, or eye glasses, contact lenses, canes, crutches and wheelchairs, and office visit co-pays and deductibles.
  • Double-check your medical receipts to make sure you haven’t forgotten to submit any claims for reimbursement, such as out-of-pocket expenses.
  • Make sure you've submitted any pharmacy copayments for reimbursement from your HCRA. You can log in to the Express Scripts website to view and print your claims history.
  • Schedule dental and vision check-ups for you and your family members.
  • Replenish first aid supplies and medicines that need refills. You can use your HCRA for various eligible expenses. To view a list of common eligible expenses visit Click on Resources, FSA Tools and Calculators and select Eligible FSA Expenses.

How Do I Use My Remaining Funds?

  • You can use the Maestro Health Card, your UT FLEX account debit card, to pay for your eligible expenses.
  • You can pay for eligible expenses with cash, check or a personal credit card. Then choose one of these options for reimbursement:
    1. Submit a claim online. Log in to Under "My Accounts," click on "Submit a Claim" to get started.
    2. Submit a claim through the Maestro Health mSAVE mobile application. Get it for iPhone at: or for Android at:
    3. Fill out a paper claim form and fax or mail it to Maestro Health. You can find the claim form online. The fax number and mailing address are on the form.

Important Note: Save all of your receipts. If you have an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) from your insurance plan, save that too. When you submit a claim, you’ll need to submit the EOB or detailed receipt.

The documentation must show the date the purchase or service was incurred, your financial responsibility, description of purchase or type of service, provider or merchant name and patient name (if applicable).


What Do I Need to Know About My Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA)?

Even though the deadline to incur Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA) expenses has passed (August 31, 2017), you still have until November 30, 2017 to submit your claims.

If your dependent care provider completes and signs a paper claim form, you do not need to include a detailed receipt or statement. If you submit a claim online, you must submit either a detailed receipt or statement that shows the dates of service, amount of service, dependent name and provider name.

Sign Up for Account Notifications to Stay Up to Date on your Account

  1. Log in to
  2. Under “My Accounts”, Click on "Update Profile."
  3. Select "Notifications / Email Address." Enter your email address.
  4. Select the notifications you wish to receive and then click "Submit."


Visit or call Maestro Health Customer Service at (844) UTS-FLEX (844-887-3539). Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Central and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Central.

This material is for informational purposes only and is not an offer of coverage. It contains only a partial, general description of plan benefits or programs and does not constitute a contract. Information is believed to be accurate as of the production date; however, it is subject to change. For more information about Maestro Health, go to