INNOVATIONS IN HEALTH SCIENCE EDUCATION CONFERENCES
An annual "Innovations in Health Science Education" conference is sponsored by the six health science campuses within The University of Texas System. Each meeting includes nationally-recognized invited speakers together with local participants. Although organized and sponsored by The University of Texas System, all those interested in health science education are invited to attend.
The 2024 Innovations in Health Science Education
SAVE THE DATE: February 22-23, 2024 in Austin, TX
(returning to in-person format)
Call for Proposals
University of Texas Systems Kenneth I. Shine MD, Academy of Health Science Education
2024 Innovations in Health Science Education Conference
Feb 22-23, 2024 in Austin, Texas
Conference Theme: The Many Dimensions of Mentorship: Education, Career, Scholarship, Well-being, and Beyond
Proposals for the 2024 Innovations meeting will be accepted between
September 15, 2023 and October 30, 2023.
Proposals can be submitted for the following categories: Abstracts, Workshops, Discussion Sessions.
Please note: Individuals may be the lead author on no more than two conference submissions.
ABSTRACTS: abstracts describing educational innovations, educational research, or quality initiatives in education are welcome. Abstracts should describe work that has been implemented and results/outcomes information must be available. Use the following headers within the abstract:
For research abstracts: Introduction, Methods, Results, Conclusions
For innovation/ quality initiatives: Introduction, Project Description, Outcomes, Conclusions
References (up to 5) may be included.
Abstracts are limited to 350 words; title, authors, and references are not included in the word count.
Accepted abstracts will be presented as posters or short oral presentations.
Discussion Sessions are intended to address contemporary topics that impact our roles in education. These sessions may have a maximum of three leaders/facilitators. Discussion sessions are 60 minutes. Recommended format is a brief (~ 10 minute) overview of the topic followed by a facilitated discussion with the attendees. Prompt questions are helpful to guide the attendees in the discussion. Use the following format when submitting a proposal for a discussion session.
Topic: Provide a brief background on the topic and its relevance to healthcare education
Prompt questions: include 2-3 questions that can be used to facilitate the discussion.
Proposals are limited to 300 words; title, authors and references are not included in the word count.
There are two options for workshops
- Pre-conference workshop (120 minutes, will be held Thursday Feb 22 from 9:30 to 11:30 am)
- In-conference workshop (90 minutes – will be held during concurrent sessions on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning)
Workshops highlight active learning. Submissions must emphasize how the facilitators plan to engage attendees in active learning for the majority of the workshop period. Submissions must clearly state the workshop objectives and how the planned activities will engage attendees to address these objectives. Workshop submissions must follow the following format:
Background: Provide a brief overview of the topic and its relevance to healthcare education
Workshop objectives: Clearly state the objectives of the workshop
Timeline: Outline a timeline with a brief description of the active learning techniques to be used
Example: 10 min: introduction to topic with brief didactic
15 minutes: small group breakout 1. Attendees will work through case
examples applying principles outlined in the introduction
10 minutes: large group debrief
15 minutes: small group breakout 2. Attendees will create …
Workshops may have up to five facilitators. Proposals are limited to 300 words; title, authors, and references are not included in the word count.
PLEASE NOTE: the last date for proposal submissions is Monday October 30, 2023 at 11:59 pm Central time. No late submissions will be accepted.
If you have any questions about the conference submission or formatting guidelines, please contact Karen Szauter firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include INNOVATIONS CONFERENCE QUESTION in the message line of your email.
PAST INNOVATIONS IN HEALTH SCIENCE EDUCATION CONFERENCES
- October 2004 - 1st Annual Conference "Undergraduate Medical Education"
- October 2005 - 2nd Annual Conference "Competencies and Professionalism in Medical Education"
- October 2006 - 3rd Annual Conference "The Innovation Imperative"
- October 2007 - 4th Annual Conference "Faculty Development and Translational Research"
- May 2009 - 5th Annual Conference no title provided
- February 2010 - 6th Annual Conference "Finding the Time, Finding the Money: Improving the Efficiency & Quality of Health Care Education"
- May 2011 - 7th Annual Conference "The Innovation Imperative"
- February 2012 - 8th Annual Conference "Assessing Students in Health Science Education – How We Teach; How They Learn"
- February 2013 - 9th Annual Conference "Sustaining a Highly Productive Academic Environment: Raising the Priority for Mentoring"
- February 2014 - 10th Annual Conference "Online Learning: New Frontiers & New Faces"
- February 2015 - 11th Annual Conference "Integrating the Patient Perspective: An Imperative for Educational Research and Innovation"
- February 2016 - 12th Annual Conference "Caring for Ourselves so We Can Care for Others"
- February 2017 - 13th Annual Conference "Why We Do This: Reflecting on the Joy of Teaching"
- February 2018 - 14th Annual Conference "CHANGE: Not Just Surviving, Thriving!"
- February 2019 - 15th Annual Conference
- February 2020 - 16th Annual Conference "Celebrate Education"
- February 2021 - 17th Annual Conference "Pivoting to Transform Health Science Education: How We Learned to Teach During a Pandemic"
- March 2023 - 19th Annual Conference "Diversity, Collaboration, And Opportunities In Current Health Science Education"