Recruiting STAR Faculty
The Science and Technology Acquisition and Retention (STARs) Program provides funding to help UT System institutions attract and retain the best qualified faculty.
Encouraging Research Collaborations
- UT System created the Influuent website to promote and expand the research, knowledge-creation, and innovation of UT Faculty. Influuent can help faculty explore potential funding opportunities and expand research networks. It can also help industry members locate a research partner or new technology to license.
- In 2005, UT System and Sandia National Laboratories announced a memorandum of understanding that called for increased interactions and collaborations between individual staff, faculty, and students at Sandia and UT System academic and health institutions. The MOU also provides in-state tuition benefits to Sandia employees and their dependents.
- UT System and Mexico’s National Council of Science and Technology (also known as CONACYT) have partnered to develop new academic and research programs. The agreement will enable joint academic programs to be developed in STEM fields.
Engineering Education Advancement
- A Task Force was convened in 2012 to examine the challenges and opportunities related to engineering education in Texas in the 21st century. The Task Force issued a report in December 2013 recommending that the UT System launch a significant initiative in engineering education advancement.
Initiatives in South Texas
- A partnership between UT System, the City of Brownsville, and the state of Texas has helped launch a powerful research and technology commercialization project in South Texas. STARGATE/SpaceX will establish UT Rio Grande Valley as a leader in space exploration research.
- The South Texas Diabetes & Obesity Institute is being established to advance research of diabetes and obesity, develop better treatments and ultimately improve the health of residents in South Texas and beyond. UT Rio Grande Valley has recruited Dr. Sarah Williams-Blangero and a team of researchers to conduct their research across the Valley and interact with other research, public health and community programs.
Innovation & Strategic Investment
Faculty and students across the UT System work with professionals in industry and technology commercialization to translate research findings into new applications and tools. The Office of Innovation & Strategic Investment aides institutions in commercializing research output that result in significant societal, cultural, and commercial value.
UT Digital Library
The University of Texas System Digital Library (UTSDL) consortia comprises The University of Texas academic and medical institutions.
Complementing the collective strengths of the UT Institution Libraries with online scholarly resources and expanding support for their institutions' services and programs.