Real Estate Office
UT System Offices
Kirk Tames is the Executive Director of Real Estate, and Geoff Richards serves as the Assistant Director of Real Estate. Ha Dao is an Assistant General Counsel; Thomas Groce and Ed Walts are Senior Attorneys for the group. Real Estate Officers are Associate Real Estate Officer Nina Farrell and Senior Real Estate Officer Ed Walts. Ashley Kipp serves as Portfolio Manager.
The Real Estate Office provides centralized and comprehensive real estate services for the 14 institutions within the UT System. Services include:
- Provision of a comprehensive range of professional expertise and resources for campus real estate transactions, including planning and feasibility analyses, purchases, easements, and leases.
- Management, sales, and leases of surface interests in real property donated or bequeathed to a U. T. institution.
- Evaluation of proposed gifts and bequests of surface interests in real property and assistance to the institutions with respect to such gifts and bequests.
- Processing of required approvals for real estate transactions from U. T. System officials, the Board of Regents and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
- Coordination with the Office of Risk Management with respect to environmental and insurance issues.
- Coordination with county appraisal districts and tax offices with respect to property tax issues and exemptions.
- Provision of guidance and assistance to the institutions for compliance with policies and laws governing real property and real property transactions.