The 80th Texas Legislature authorized the Governor to appoint a nonvoting student representative to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB).
To aid the Governor in his selections, the chancellor of each university system must recommend students based on applications submitted by each president on behalf of the institution’s student government organization. The student representative serves a one-year term, from June 1st through May 31st of the following year. The THECB Student Representative has the same rights as regularly appointed board members, except the right to vote or be counted towards a quorum for official board business. The position serves without compensation, but is reimbursed for expenses incurred during official Board business.
More information about the THECB Student Representative:
- THECB Student Representative Background and Application Instructions. (Note: This packet includes two separate documents to fill out and submit, in addition to a Summary of Key Information, which are guidelines for applicants and do not need to be submitted to UT System; nominees must submit both documents for an application to be considered complete).
Note: Depending on which browser you use, you may need to download this application, in order to fill it out and submit.
- No later than November 1st of each year, student government bodies solicit applicants.
- Applicants chosen by the institution’s student government must be sent to the president for consideration.
- The president of each institution submits no more than five applicants to Weston Rose, Program & Communications Coordinator in the Office of Academic Affairs at UT System. All other applications must be retained in the president’s office until the Governor names the appointments.
- The UT System Office of Academic Affairs and Office of Health Affairs review all applications submitted by the presidents and make recommendations to the Chancellor.
- No later than February 1st, the Chancellor selects two or more applicants for each position to forward to the Governor for consideration.
- Around June 1st, the Governor appoints the THECB Representative.