The University of Texas System has statutory authority to purchase insurance or self-insure and to administer risk management programs.
The Executive Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs and the Chief Compliance and Risk Officer have been delegated certain risk management responsibilities and authority from the Board of Regents.
A Risk Management Executive Committee provides oversight and advice for programs administered by the Office of Risk Management.
- Education Code, Chapter 51.966 - Authority to Purchase Insurance
- Government Code, Chapter 2259 - Authority to Self-Insure
- Labor Code, Chapter 503 - Workers' Compensation Program
- Board of Regents Rule 80601-Delegation of Authority to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs and the Director of Risk Management to approve the purchase or renewal of insurance policies and claims-certain limits apply-Appendix D
- Board of Regents Rule 30202-Delegation of Authority to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs for approval of Workers' Compensation rates and to the Office of Risk Management for Administrative Responsibilities-Appendix E