Prior State Service & Leave Balances

This page pertains to employees of UT System Administration only. If you're an employee at a UT academic or health institution, please contact the HR office at your institution for assistance.

State service credit is earned when you work for a State of Texas agency or a Texas public institution of higher education. State service impacts your vacation leave accrual rate and longevity pay. If you transferred to UT System from another state agency, your vacation and sick leave accruals may be eligible for transfer. Generally, vacation will transfer if it was not paid out at your former agency/institution. Sick will transfer if your hire date at UT System is within 12 months of your separation date from your former agency/institution.

If you have questions regarding whether previous employment counts toward your state service credit, refer to the Texas State Agencies list.

Employment at an independent school district or community college in Texas does not qualify as state service credit for vacation leave and longevity purposes, even though this employment often qualifies as creditable service with Teacher Retirement System.

UT System does not automatically receive information about your state service history. However, we will contact the former state agencies you identified during the hiring process to obtain the required verification(s). Once the verification process is complete, you will receive an email from the Office of Talent & Innovation. Please send status inquiries to