Eligibility - Active Employees
If you're appointed to work at least 20 hours or more a week for at least 4.5 months (135 calendar days) in an eligible staff, faculty, or graduate student academic employee position, you may participate in the university's insurance plans. For purposes of premium sharing, part-time employees are those who work at least 20, but less than 30 hours per week. Full time employees are those who work 30 or more hours per week.
Certain non-employee Postdoctoral Fellows and Graduate Student Fellows are also eligible to participate in the university’s medical, dental, and vision insurance plans.
For voluntary UT Benefits plans, your eligible dependents include:
- Your spouse;
- Your child(ren) under age 26, including stepchildren, adopted children, and children for whom you are the legal guardian or who are the subject of a medical support order;
- Your grandchild under age 26, if the child qualifies and is claimed as your dependent for federal tax purposes; and
- Certain children over age 26, who are determined by the UT System Office of Employee Benefits (OEB) to be medically incapacitated and are unable to provide their own support.
Examples of dependents who aren't eligible for coverage:
- Your common-law spouse, unless you have a Declaration of Informal Marriage;
- Your former spouse;
- Your grandchild, if over age 26 or if not claimed as your dependent for federal tax purposes;
- Your child over age 26, if not medically incapacitated and unable to provide their own support;
- Foster children who are covered by another government program, unless required by law or court order;
- Any child for whom you only have power of attorney;
- Any dependent insured in the same plan type by another university employee or retired employee;
- Any dependent insured by another plan that receives State of Texas premium contributions (such as ERS, TRS or Texas A&M plans).