If you experience a major "life event" or change in your personal or work life (Change of Status), your benefits may need to change as well.
You have 31 days from the date of a qualified change of status event to notify your institution Benefits Office and complete changes to your benefits that are consistent with that event. If you do not make your eligible changes during the 31-day status change period, your changes cannot be made until the next Annual Enrollment in July, to be effective the following September 1.
The list below includes common examples of qualified Change of Status events:
- marriage, divorce, annulment, or spouse’s death;
- birth, adoption, medical child-support order, or dependent’s death;
- significant change in residence if the change affects you or your dependents’ current plan eligibility;
- change of job status affecting eligibility (e.g. for employees: from non-benefits eligible part-time to full-time, starting or ending employment, starting or returning from FMLA, or other) ;
- change in dependent’s eligibility (e.g., reaching age 26 or gaining or losing eligibility for any other reason); or
- significant change in coverage or cost of other benefit plans available to you and your family.
An employee or retired employee:
- whose dependent loses insurance coverage under the Medicaid or CHIP program as a result of loss of eligibility of either the employee or the dependent; or
- whose dependent becomes eligible for a premium assistance subsidy under Medicaid or CHIP
may enroll this dependent in the basic coverage under UT Benefits, as long as the dependent meets all other UT eligibility requirements and is enrolled within 60 days from the date of the applicable event. If enrollment of the dependent is conditioned on enrollment of the employee/retired employee, the employee/retired employee will also be eligible to enroll.
Note: EOI and dependent documentation may be required for some benefit changes following a qualified change of status event.
You may enroll in or make changes to benefits within the applicable time frame through your institution HR/Benefits office.